Tuesday, January 29, 2013

1:29:13

A response to the first section of Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma: 

This first section of this book focuses on corn.

Its history,
the industry that surrounds it,
its place in our lives.

While reading this section, I found myself temporarily tranced, relating to the draw of corn through its strange versatility and even stranger genetic possibilities. We have manipulated it to serve us, and to a certain extent I think it has become too much of a good thing and we have slowly started to use it against us...but when a plant is so willingly malleable to our every need, why not take advantage of it, right?

It is sad to me that something that was once so sacred and bowed down upon has been engulfed into a storm of modern genetic voodoo that has caused this cash crop to become more of a monster than a god.

This portion of the book also goes into the feeding of livestock, which reenforced my already existent philosophy about the amount of meat America consumes.

I, myself have been what I like to call a "flexatarian" for several years now. This means that 95% of the year I stick to a fish and plant based diet and venture into the meat realm a select few dates in the year.

Being half Greek, it is difficult to resist the call of a rack of lamb when you are home for the holidays.

Originally, becoming a flexatarian was a lifestyle choice I made to be a little healthier and seeing as high cholesterol runs in my family, I just thought it would be a good idea. I found myself slipping in and out of this diet because the motive was not strong enough of a backing for me. I was unmotivated and quickly forgot why I even started this silly diet.

 A few more documentaries and a couple hours of self reflection later, I came to the conclusion that the unbearable treatment of modern livestock was a far more powerful reminder of why I choose to eat the way I do rather than my previous excuses:

"Oh, it's healthy"
"Oh, my friends are doing it."

Americans now take the massive quantities of meat available EVERYWHERE for granted. It is too easily accessible and must become something that is a little more sought after through taking the time to choose a cut of meat at a real butcher counter, not handed to you in 2 minutes flat at a drive through window.

It would make a drastic difference in Americans health wise if meat was a little bit more of a delicacy or reserved for holidays and special occasions, Sunday dinner, that sort of thing...but Sunday dinner hardly exists anymore. Our culture is so focused on

fast
cheap
tasty
value meals

that

family time,
skilled farmers,
and valued meals
are completely lost.




-A


1 comment:

  1. Interesting points. I'd like to see you pick one or two and go into them a bit more deeply.

    ReplyDelete